Sunday, January 5, 2014

Hitting the Slopes! (Ski vacation travel and day 1)

Christmas Day we left Kansas City for a ten hour drive to Colorado.  We should have packed more than snacks because finding dining options on Christmas Day was not an easy task.  A big thank you to Limon, Colorado and the one McDonald's we saw open after 518 miles of driving.  It was a late dinner but I don't think McDonald's has ever tasted so good!  Luckily though, we had good weather and enjoyed our time together across the ever exciting state of Kansas (detect the sarcasm).  Ella and I did get to see the new windmill farms for the first time and they kept us pretty fascinated for miles.   The kids also experienced their first tumble weeds.  
We arrived late that night and checked out our condo for the week.  It was really nice and had views of the mountains from three sides.  It was such a pretty sight.  We quickly headed to bed since it would be an early morning getting our equipment rented and both kids to ski school by 9:15.  
The next morning, Ella was a little nervous but excited and Sam was all ready to go.   We dropped them off in time for their day of lessons and Caleb took a lesson too since he was trying snowboarding for the first time.  John, Dana, Kevin, and I hit then hit the slopes (Hannah and Sarah had already gone on ahead while we got everyone to ski school).  I was super nervous having not skied in eleven years and never having skied well anyway.  My first run was very successful (that means no falls).  Quickly though the others were graduating me to tougher runs and I had a real rough experience.  After numerous falls that was the end of my day.  The others continued to ski and I waited then picked up Ella and Sam from ski school.  They both had great days and were doing well.  Ella was skiing the same slopes I was, like a pro, and Sam was venturing to some tougher terrain.  


All ready for ski school!
I am so glad they love skiing.   Then it was time to head home and relax.  We all went to bed early to rest our tired bodies in anticipation of skiing on day two.  

No comments: