Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Back to the Books

Well, it is that time of year again.  No more carefree summer schedule, no more sleeping in, no more late nights riding bikes with the neighbors it is time for school.  Both of my kids were filled with excitement and a few nerves for their first day.  Sam, who had said I was not allowed to walk him to his room changed his mind when we hit the doorway of the building.  He said it was okay if we walked him to his room.  So, after getting him there and talking him into a picture we let him go into his room alone ready to start the day.  
Then it was time to drop off Ella for her first day of kindergarten.  She did a wonderful job getting into her room and getting settled.  We put her things in her cubby, took a few pictures and she got right to work at a table making a picture.  One quick kiss and she was ready for kindergarten.  I on the other hand started to feel the tears at this point and made a b-line to the parking lot.  I knew I was going to cry so it wasn't any big surprise.  Sending your kids to kindergarten is hard!
Ella's day did get much more dramatic though after her smooth start.  Less than two hours into school I got my first call from the nurses office.  She had bumped her head on the playground.  The nurse said she thought she was fine to return to class but wanted me to know.  Next was lunch, and I was there to help and checked on her.  She seemed to be doing fine and was enjoying school.  Then it was time to throw away her lunch tray.  Well, the styrofoam didn't hold well and her milk spilled all over her pretty dress and the floor.  I kind of stayed away and let the principal handle it since I thought seeing me might make her cry.  She handled it like a champ and I thought we were done with our crises for the day.  
Little did I know the bus ride home would be so traumatic.  They were supposed to be dropped of at four and we had the landscape planner coming at 4:15.  No problem, right?  Wrong.  The bus was running late and the landscape planner was running early.  So I went to meet with him and left John who wanted to get the kids off the bus.  Well, the bus arrives about 4:15 and Sam gets off but there is no Ella.  John asks Sam where Ella is and he starts crying because he doesn't know.  John then starts talking to the bus driver who is calling school to try to locate her.  Sam comes into my meeting crying and I think oh no, his first day was terrible.  He proceeds to tell me he is a bad brother and has lost Ella.  I get my phone and check with Sam to make sure he and his dad are not trying to tease me and begin calling school.  While I'm calling I look out the window and see her.  Sam runs out the door and hugs her.  The poor landscape guy doesn't know what to do and is telling me we can just reschedule.  I apologize and ask for five minutes to sort things out and then we can look at his plan. 
It turns out Ella had gotten off at the first street in our subdivision, about three blocks too early.  The bus stopped, she saw our neighborhood and thought she was supposed to get off the bus.  Luckily, another kindergarten mom was there and could tell Ella was upset.  She thought she needed help across the street so she helped her.  When Ella still looked upset she asked what was wrong.  Ella said, "I don't live here."  Luckily, she did know our street when asked and the nice mom told her she would help her find it.  She walked her up to John and as soon as she saw her Daddy the tears started flowing.  Ella and Sam did calm down eventually and John and I were just glad they were safe and sound.  That woman was a true blessing and I am happy for the kind people in this world.  



As some after notes, Ella now sits in her seat and waits for Sam to tell her where to get off the bus.  I think she has it figured out now and could easily do it on her own.  And, the landscape plan, it looks great.  What a day! 

No comments: