Monday, December 5, 2011

Caroling

I didn't take any pictures of our Christmas caroling but wanted to write about how wonderful my kids are. Our church makes baskets and goes caroling each year to the homebound of our parish. I've been trying to think of something that my kids can do to help others for Christmas and after talking to them this seemed like the perfect project.
Saturday evening Ella and I made cookie dough and Sunday morning Sam helped me bake the cookies to add to the baskets at church. After mass we gathered and divided up the places to go and carol. The kids and I went with a small group to an assisted living facility and a nursing home. We visited seven parishioners in all. We sang at each person's apartment or room and visited with them briefly. My kids were so kind and patient. The visits took about two hours and they never once complained.
Sam even sat down next to a lady that wanted someone close by and tied another woman's shoes when he noticed they were not tied as she walked around her apartment. While they didn't know all the words to the carols they were the highlight of the visit for a lot of the people. They loved seeing the kids and I loved seeing their kind hearts.

No comments: