Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Peaches

Sam came home from school today having learned about Martin Luther King Jr. He told me his teacher, Mrs. Parrott, had talked to them about why we celebrated Martin Luther King Jr. Day. In his words, "he was important for giving speeches so everyone could do the same thing. Because a long time ago their were signs that said places were not for people with brown skin but only for the peaches." I thought that story was priceless.
I'm also so glad that my son is growing up in a time where Martin Luther King Jr.'s ideals are reaching reality. Sam doesn't see the color of someones skin making any more difference than the color of their hair or the color of shirt they choose to wear that day. If only everyone felt that way.

1 comment:

The Poges said...

I love that story!! It is so innocent and honest!!