Monday, June 24, 2013

Don't Catch the Pizza!

We decided to hit up our favorite pizza place for lunch since John got off work early.  At lunch time they make a variety of pizzas and sell them by the slice.  John and Sam wanted two slices of pizza.  They also wanted pepperoni which was coming out of the oven just after we ordered.  The problem with two slices of pizza is they are large and don't entirely fit on the plate.  As we stood in line waiting to pay I saw Sam's pizza sliding off of his plate as he looked around the restaurant oblivious to what was happening with his pizza.  I said, "Sam!" and reached towards his plate to make it level.  His reaction was to jerk, flipping the just out of the oven pizza into the air and onto my hand.  While most of the pizza went crashing to the floor some very hot cheese and sauce stuck to my finger burning it.  I licked it off quickly and went for napkins.  
Believe it or not, it actually looked worse in person.  
Meanwhile, I still needed to help clean up this mess, pay for our order and get more pizza for Sam.  Sam got upset and took off, John helped pick up the pizza then to find Sam.  As soon as I paid and got everything to our table I went to the bathroom to run cold water on my hand.  That didn't help much so I ate the meal with ice on my fingers.  On the drive home (without ice) it really began to throb.  Three Advils later and an hour of ice seemed to do little to help.  I now had a huge blister and two smaller blisters.  I kept my hands in cool water all evening.  I have never had a burn cause pain that lasted that long.  When I tried to sleep that night it was still painful.  I had to rig up a tv tray next to the bed with a casserole dish of cold water on top that I slept with my hand in most of the night.  Luckily, it quit hurting by morning but has caused lots of other fun problems as the skin peels and heals.  At least I am on the mend and I know next time to just let the pizza hit the floor! 

No comments: