Thursday, November 6, 2008

Will Read for Food


I don't know how many of you remember Book-It from your days in elementary school but it is alive and well. In exchange for reading books Pizza Hut will give you a personal pan pizza for free. Of course that only feeds one so then mom and dad have to cough up the money to feed everyone else. I used to love this when I was younger. I don't remember getting coupons myself but I do remember my little sister Christy getting them and then we would all get pizza!

Luckily Sam doesn't really need any incentive to read books. I always wanted a child that loves to read. Sam will keep asking for me to read more books. A few weekends ago we sat down and read a whole chapter book in one sitting!

I'm really anxious for him to start reading more on his own. He has about 20 sight words right now but isn't showing a lot of interest on doing it on his own. I'm trying not to push and waiting for it to come. The teacher in me tries to hold back the pushy parent and keep it contained to those teachable moments when he is really interested. I know it will come and I hope he will continue to love reading throughout his lifetime.

1 comment:

Traci said...

I think it is GREAT that Sam loves books so much! My girls (I know they are young and maybe all babies do) would let you read books to them all day and I love it, too! I know that is why they know so many words ... I also think that it is GREAT that you are thankful for carbs ... too funny ;)